JOIN OUR TEAM
Nurturing creativity. Supporting the arts.
You are applying for:
- Job ID
- Festival Manager
- Cultural Development
- Mid Level
- Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Job Description & Responsibilities
Job Description & Role
The Quoz Arts Fest - Festival Manager plays a key role in managing Alserkal’s largest multi-disciplinary initiative and annual festival. Working within a newly developed Cultural Development team that focuses on increasing the visibility of Alserkal Avenue as a cultural district and the region’s foremost content creator through programmes and initiatives that are rigorous, experimental, and multi-disciplinary, the QAF Festival Manager is responsible for managing the two-day arts festival as it grows in size and impact. The role will report to the Cultural Development Director and will work closely with the Alserkal Avenue community as well as the Al Quoz creative community help deliver Alserkal’s strategic goals for Quoz Arts Fest.
Quoz Arts Fest
Quoz Arts Fest is an annual two-day arts festival that is at the start of a three-year growth plan to position it as a premier festival for local, regional and international visitors. The Festival Manager will:
- Manage the entire project from content ideation through to talent confirmation and on-the-ground project management.
- Work closely with the communications team and the Cultural Development Director to develop and adhere to press / communications / marketing timelines and ensure that all content is prepared in time for dissemination
- Coordinate with the Operations team and the Projects & Facilities Manager to ensure that all logistical elements are briefed in and prepped ahead of time
- Work closely with the Cultural Development team to develop a cohesive and compelling programme of events over the two days, scheduling events and activations in line with traffic flows and responding to audience needs.
- Major elements include:
- Multi-disciplinary programming that includes art, performance, design, music and film
- Anchor performance programme in Concrete
- Music talent for mainstage
- Public realm activation through art and design commissions
- A robust two day programme of talks and workshop
- Diversification of layout
- Family-focused programmes
- QAF 2020 must highlight the physical realm outside of Alserkal Avenue to shine a light on the wider Al Quoz Neighborhood.
- The programme must include participation from the Alserkal Avenue community and the wider Al Quoz creative neighborhood.
- This position will also be responsible for securing sponsorship in line with Alserkal’s commercial and brand objectives.
- Develop a post-festival report and debrief that details all learnings from the Festival.
- Attend community council meetings to help develop activations based on community feedback and needs.
- Work closely with community relations team to ensure community-led activations are successfully executed keeping in mind a focus on footfall and commercial promotion of their products and services. Build relationships with all community members with a view to create public programming that highlights their offering and draws attention to their concept while also appealing to the general public
- Manage an apprentice, providing guidance, setting goals and managing day-to-day workload
- Coordinate with Communications, Events and Facilities Management teams, to ensure successful implementation of the Festival.
- Oversee and share the Quoz Arts Fest calendar and coordinate with wider community programming and event calendar.
- Ensure all performers, artists, curators and other collaborators have signed contracts.
- Manage budgets and liaise with the finance team to ensure payments are made in a timely manner and that the entire Festival is delivered on budget.
- Five or more years of experience working on programming festivals and large-scale events.
- Demonstrated record of hands-on experience and project management from ideation through execution
- An in-depth understanding and appreciation of the current public engagement and positioning of Alserkal Avenue
- A demonstrable understanding of, and commitment to arts and culture
- Ability to work openly and respectfully with a flexible and collegial team and evidence of strong working relationships with a diverse range of contemporary artists, curators, and cultural institutions
- High organisational skills, especially during intense projects and tight deadlines
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills; the ability to communicate with people at all levels
- Attention to detail and efficient problem solving skills
- Patience & the ability to work well under pressure
- Self-motivated individual with high levels of accountability and integrity
- Results-orientated with attention to detail and client-servicing approach to all of Alserkal Avenue’s internal and external stakeholders
[Term: Six months]
The role offers an exemplary working environment within Alserkal Avenue in the industrial district of Al Quoz. You will also receive an array of benefits including on-the-job training, regular appraisals and much more. Days and hours of work are Sunday through Thursday, from 10am to 7pm, with overtime and Saturdays required to attend events and/or due to deadlines leading up to projects.
If you believe that you can bring something exciting to the team, please email your CV together with a cover letter with ‘Exhibitions Production Manager’ in the subject line to email@example.com