JOIN OUR TEAM
Nurturing creativity. Supporting the arts.
You are applying for:
- Job ID
- Alserkal Residency Director
- Alserkal Residency
- Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Job Description & Responsibilities
The Alserkal Residency Director drives the development of Alserkal Residency, its public programmes, and multi-disciplinary commissions. This role includes advising on content for Alserkal Group initiatives, as well as Concrete, and Alserkal Avenue
- Ideate and develop annual strategy for Alserkal Residency, aligning how it will fit into the future Alserkal Trust, working closely with AA Director and the Alserkal Family.
- Act as the key contact and liaison between Alserkal Residency and the Alserkal Avenue Central team to ensure communication is maintained between the different teams
- Act as the key contact for Concrete's cultural development initiatives, guiding and advising on any of Concrete's programmes
- Ideate and develop programmes and initiatives regionally and internationally to expand Alserkal Residency's network
- Oversee and manage budget and annual expenditure for Alserkal Residency and its programmes and physical spaces, including Commissions which are to take place in Alserkal Avenue or outside.
- Secure travel budget for research trips, particularly looking at cultural institutions and regions which align with AR ethos, expanding the mission of the programme through collaborations.
- Work closely with Selection Committee members for Alserkal Residency, which will stay in place from 2019-2020.
- Manage Alserkal Residency’s team, i.e Alserkal Residency Programmes Manager, Operations Executive and Residency coordinator, ensuring that are given the support to achieve their goals.
- Oversee the development of a new system which will hold all records of past participants and form the basis of Alserkal Residency’s public archive.
- Establish strong and unique position for Alserkal Residency amongst arts organizations regionally and internationally, focusing on discursive platform and Global South participants.
- Widen the scope of Alserkal Residency to include academics from the fields of social sciences / humanities by 2020, complementing multidisciplinary nature of the programme.
- Develop and oversee inter-cycle studio programme, inviting artists and cultural practitioners to use AR studios, keeping community spirit and interaction strong throughout the year.
- Ideate and oversee Alserkal Residency's Commissions Programme for 2019-2020, working alongside the Alserkal Residency Programmes Manager and Alserkal Avenue team.
- Ideate and develop public programming around Alserkal Residency’s Commissions
- Work alongside AA Director and Cultural Development Director, advising on all not-for-profit partnerships and collaborations for Alserkal Avenue.
- Advise on possible external partnerships with institutions and cultural practitioners
- Advise on possible collaborations and partnerships with community members within Alserkal Avenue
- Weekly meetings with Programming team to review programme status.
- Advise the Concrete Director on not-for-profit partnerships and collaborations, specifically during March and November, but also for the performance programme.
- Work closely on public programmes related to not-for-profit partnerships and collaborations being held at Concrete
- Ideate and develop series of talks, workshops, film screenings, seminars and other programmes which will form the backbone of the Alserkal Residency programme
- Scheduling of critiques and open studios with regional and international art-world professionals for Alserkal Residency
- Work alongside computer programmer to develop archiving methods on new residency website
- Oversee the launch of AR website and social media accounts, ensuring they remain within brand and work alongside AA communications director on annual strategy
- Review, edit and write texts on or related to Alserkal Residency
- Invest time in researching participants and institutions with similar ethos to AR, scheduling meetings and creating connections
- Schedule weekly meetings with programming team, consulting when necessary on future programmes.
- Provide constant bridge between AR and AA teams, ensuring there is information being shared, and communication is up to speed.
- Oversee maintenance and operations of AR physical spaces via AR Apprentice and Operations Executive and AA Operations team.
- Bachelor's degree in Art History with a focus in contemporary art is required and/or professional training and experience that equates to BA, such as University Degree in Art History, Curatorial Studies, Museum Studies, Arts & Cultural Management, Culture & Heritage Management; MA preferred
- An in-depth understanding and appreciation of the current public engagement and positioning of Alserkal Avenue
- A demonstrable understanding of, and commitment to arts and culture
- Minimum of five (3) years of experience working with contemporary art and artists in cultural institutions
- Experience working with others to develop long-range exhibition and public programme calendars
- Experience managing public art commissions and special project budgets
- Demonstrated record of hands-on experience and project management from ideation through execution
- Ability to work openly and respectfully with a flexible and collegial team and evidence of strong working relationships with a diverse range of contemporary artists, curators, and cultural institutions
- Familiarity with Middle Eastern contemporary art market and strong awareness of current ethical practices and laws regarding contemporary art within the region
- Experience in collaborating with key constituents to further develop local, regional and international relationships
- An interest and enthusiasm for public engagement and contemporary art from MENA