JOIN OUR TEAM
Nurturing creativity. Supporting the arts.
You are applying for:
- Job ID
- Alserkal Avenue Programmes Manager
- Cultural Development
- Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Job Description & Responsibilities
The Alserkal Avenue Programmes Manager plays a key role in shaping the profile of Alserkal Avenue through the development of public programmes, multi-disciplinary initiatives and related projects involving members of the Alserkal Avenue community. The position plays a key role within a newly developed Cultural Development team that will focus on increasing the visibility of Alserkal Avenue as a creative community and the region’s foremost contemporary art and design hub. The role will work closely across Alserkal Avenue’s central teams to help deliver the organisation's strategic goals by increasing financial sustainability and audience growth while maintaining and growing its position as a leading arts programmer in the region.
Alserkal Avenue Community Activations
- Ideate, develop, manage and execute an exciting year-round public programme of talks, workshops, film screenings, and tours: These experimental, and innovative interdisciplinary projects bring together visual arts, music, performance, design, dance, theatre, commissions, public events, and special projects that engage Alserkal Avenue’s community and beyond. The activations must take into account the art galleries and creative spaces within Alserkal Avenue to ensure alignment and consistent programming that promotes the Avenue as the foremost creative community in the region.
- Ideate, develop and manage, cohesive Spring, Summer and Fall programmes that fall under an annual thematic and meet organisation objectives.
- Ideate and manage a robust and engaging Ramadan programme that activates the Avenue at least twice a week and collaborates with our community members.
- Oversee the archiving and development and growth of Alserkal Avenue’s programmes database, forming productive and beneficial partnerships with local as well as international educational institutions and cultural organisations.
- Attend all community council meetings to help develop activations based on community feedback and needs.
- Work closely with Community relations team to ensure community-led activations are successfully executed keeping in mind a focus on footfall and commercial promotion of their products and services. Build relationships with all community members with a view to create public programming that highlights their offering and draws attention to their concept while also appealing to the general public.
- Manage the Cultural Development executive and apprentice, providing guidance, setting goals and managing day-to-day workload.
- Coordinate with Communications, Events and Facilities Management teams, to ensure successful implementation of public programmes.
- Oversee and share programmes calendar and coordinate with wider community programming and event calendar.
- Manage Alserkal Avenue Programmes budgets and compliance.
- Manage and ideate content for Quoz Arts Fest, including an overarching theme and activations through the two-day festival while ensuring 60% participation from community members.
- Ideate, manage and execute programmes that feed into Alserkal Avenue community events such as March Art Week and November Art Week to ensure at least 10 activations by Alserkal Avenue during such special projects.
- Ideate and introduce new projects and activations that attract and new and returning audiences to Alserkal Avenue.
- Develop a new outreach strategy and objectives leading to increased number of tours and targeted collaborations with key educational, institutional, government entities from early school education to universities, leading to strategic engagement of new audiences amongst AA community.
- Develop and manage collaborations with other organisations on engagement activities alongside the Cultural Development Director with a focus on content creation and control.
- Liaise with Cultural Development Director on warehouse takeovers in the Yard by partners, educational institutions, design initiatives etc.
- An in-depth understanding and appreciation of the current public engagement and positioning of Alserkal Avenue
- A demonstrable understanding of, and commitment to arts and culture
- Minimum of three (3) years of experience working programming, festivals, large-scale events
- Demonstrated record of hands-on experience and project management from ideation through execution
- Ability to work openly and respectfully with a flexible and collegial team and evidence of strong working relationships with a diverse range of contemporary artists, curators, and cultural institutions
- Familiarity with Middle Eastern contemporary art market and strong awareness of current ethical practices and laws regarding contemporary art within the region
- High organisational skills, especially during intense projects and tight deadlines
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills; the ability to communicate with people at all levels
- Attention to detail and efficient problem solving
- Patience & the ability to work well under pressure
- Self-motivated individual with high levels of accountability and integrity
- Results-orientated with attention to detail and client-servicing approach to all of Alserkal Avenue’s internal and external stakeholders
- Enthusiasm for continual learning and organisational development